ABOUT SCOTT J. BUCHANAN
“As a high-school dropout, owning one hair salon — let alone multiple salons — was a career path I never dreamed of pursuing. I was very young when my parents passed away, and I supported myself as a hospital orderly. Beauty school appealed to me, so I worked my way through cosmetology school. After graduation I started out as an apprentice in a local salon.
“It was one day at a time, one guest at a time. I focused on giving a great experience to everyone in my chair. I will always remember the first time a client cried when I told her she was beautiful. During her consultation, I told her I wanted to emphasize her beautiful cheekbones and eyes, and then I saw tears coming down her face. Making people feel good about themselves is what I love, and has been driving my passion since day one.”
Our mission at Scott J. is to enhance the total beauty that lies within us all, through service, education and environmental awareness.
Scott’s Special Recognition:
- received a multitude of editorial mentions
- created TV show makeovers on The Oprah Winfrey Show and The Ricki Lake Show, among others
- rewarded numerous accolades including the Aveda Achievement Award, the highest honor Aveda gives to a stylist
- recognized as an Aveda platform artist
Scott J Partners
“The success of Scott J manifested not just because of one person’s drive, but because of the difference our team makes. As an owner, I love to give my business partners opportunities to expand their talent and passion. Today, we serve our message at four Aveda salonspas in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our next big steps are to expand the Scott J message throughout New York and Brooklyn; to elevate the perception of hairdressers; and to help our partners reach their full potential.”
Scott J: Giving Back
- We believe in taking our motto into our community: “Give selflessly, because when you give, you receive.”
- We are longtime supporters of charities and programs that help preserve the rainforest and protect clean water.
- We have raised funds and donated time and talent to beauty and wellness programs for teens with HIV/AIDS and to patients at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- The salons also donate goods and services to fundraisers for schools and hospitals.]
Scott J Supports Education
“I have the opportunity to influence a wide range of people in the beauty industry through my affiliation with Intercoiffure America/Canada and the Professional Beauty Association. As such, I have a hand in raising the standards of salon education and in enhancing the personal and professional development for those working in beauty. Education is my key focus, and raising the bar in the industry is very important to me.”